Dear families, welcome!
My name is Ms. d'Assuncao, and you can call me Ms. D.
I am from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I graduated from Universidade Estadual do Rio de Janeiro in Brazil in 1980. I have a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics. I’ve been living in California for 30 years. I have one son who graduated from Cal. Baptist University.
I think my style of pedagogy is a combination of enthusiasm for mathematics, common sense, and ongoing curiosity about how to get the information to students in a way that they will understand it and perhaps even find some enthusiasm for math. I try to be very very clear about what our procedures are and what is expected of them. I also donate my time during lunch and nutrition to help struggling students - math just does not come easily to some, and they need the extra time. If a student wants to retake a test for a better grade, I often let them, but they must have proof that they have studied the problems; they can do this during lunch or nutrition. Last, I am always searching for ways to make mathematics more accessible, by exploring manipulatives, drawing, writing, technology, and cooperative strategies. I would love to think that my students consider me a tough but fair and caring teacher.
* Bethune Middle School – Teacher, 5 years
* Gardena High Magnet – Teacher, 2 years
* Henry Clay Middle School – Teacher, 6 years
* Presented/taught for (old) local District 8 Math Department: how to teach with the use of manipulatives
* Taught new teachers at Transition to Teaching Program, College of Education, CSUDH
* Making Algebra Easy Using Manipulatives presentations at LACTMA (Los Angeles City Teachers' Mathematics Association)