The Unusual Suspects Theatre Company is excited to offer a FREE virtual after-school drama program at Edison Middle School ! Established more than 27 years ago, we are an award-winning, non-profit 501(c)(3), community-based theatre arts organization with a presence throughout Los Angeles County. The Unusual Suspects has received recognition on a local, national, and international level for its innovative and quality programming, including The National Youth Arts and Humanities Award, our nation’s highest honor for out-of-school arts programming, presented at The White House.
Our program is valued at $1,200 per student, but is FREE to your child due to generous support from our stakeholders.
During Oct 5th, 2020-Dec 18, our 10-week drama workshop will be held twice a week immediately after school on
Our teaching artists and volunteer mentors are professionals in theatre, film and television, who receive rigorous training in our pedagogy. Our curriculum focuses on writing and performance and helps youth gain confidence in their public speaking and pro-social abilities, allowing them to communicate more effectively with friends, family, and teachers. The workshops are fun, but they are also hard work.
In just 10 weeks, the students will write an original play together!
Survey results show that of all students participating in our program:
· 95% said “I learned to respect people who are different than me.”
· 91% said “The program provided a physically and emotionally safe space for self-expression.”
· 90% said “I learned the benefits of collaborative decision-making.”
· 93% said “The teachers and mentors who work in this program listen to what I have to say.”
· 86% said “I am more likely to come to school.”